VIP
VIP

22 Nov 2007 07:21

Nice bloke as well  
B
VIP
VIP

25 Nov 2007 20:17

Guthrie is a Monster! Is it true that Vigier were going to make him a fretless? I read a cool story that he was in Tone Merchants in America, some dude was playing a Surfreter and sounded pretty good, but put the guitar down. The guy who was with Guthrie suggested he have a go and apparentley the entire shop just stopped and crowded round in amazment. And from that i heard he was after a Surfreter. Did he get one Patrice? Erotic Cakes is wwaaayy cool too! What is your favourite song guys? Mine I'd have to say in Slidey Boy...really groovey with great playing on a nylon string no less! Also for anyone that doesn't know, check out his books Creative Guitar 1 + 2. Seriously, discard/sell/burn every book you own. These are the only two books you may ever need! Cheers Brad
megalodon
Super user
Super user

29 Nov 2007 13:40

megalodon wrote:

Erotic Cakes is wwaaayy cool too! What is your favourite song guys? Mine I'd have to say in Slidey Boy...really groovey with great playing on a nylon string no less!

You do know that some nylon strings are VERY easy to play right? I really don't think he played on a regular classical guitar...From the cd I especially like "Waves" and "Wonderful Slippery Thing".
B
VIP
VIP

29 Nov 2007 14:42

yes some nylon strings are very easy to play, i won't dispute that. However the guitar he recorded Slidey Boy with, is a ?50 Takamine from some junk shop. And i quote.. '' Acoustic-wise, I have a battered old Takamine spanish guitar (quick note to UK folks; it set me back a piddling 50 quid from Cash Converters, who presumably didn't check the label inside the soundhole ); it records well enough, though a serious classical player would doubtless find fault in it. I don't pretend to play it "properly" - if I grew the requisite RH nails, I'd have to stop playing country licks, tapping with more than one finger and all that good stuff - so I just cheat with a pick, a la Strunz and Farah, McLaughlin et al. It's quite an unforgiving instrument, so I think every electric player can pinpoint the holes in their technique if they spend a little time struggling with a nylon string, trying to hide the string squeak, finger the chords perfectly and all that... Planet Acoustic is a whole different world to me; my girlfriend has all these back issues of "Acoustic Guitarist", and it fills me with shame to read about all these famous acoustic players that I've never actually heard!'' this quote is where i based my assumption on. In his own words he says 'its quite an unforgiving instrument', so for an electric player who is used to well set up, expensive electric guitars, to go to a cheap nylon string speaks volumes about how flawless his technique is. And to be honest i could count on one hand the electric guitarists who i feel make the transition to nylon/acoustic really convincing. Guthrie being one. Besides it's not the technique that impresses me with this song so much, it's the groove, note choice and phrasing.   Another highlight of Erotic Cakes for me is main solo in 'Fives' Cheers Brad
megalodon
Super user
Super user

01 Dec 2007 17:01

Ok, point taken.
Trev
Super user
Super user

07 Dec 2007 21:59

Without a doubt the major talent on guitar.Erotic Cakes is a stunning piece of work on a par with Passion and Warfare IHMO!
B
VIP
VIP

07 Dec 2007 22:14

megalodon wrote:Without a doubt the major talent on guitar.Erotic Cakes is a stunning piece of work on a par with Passion and Warfare IHMO!
Thats exactly what I thought. This was the first time I was instantly blown away by an intrumental guitar album since I first heard Passion and Warfare! 
megalodon
Super user
Super user

18 Dec 2007 19:38

New video! Right here:http://youtube.com/watch?v=_UwUJxfneEU
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

20 Dec 2007 09:21

Guthrie is excellent, one day I offered him to try the Surfreter, but he never show me a real interest. Too bad snif!

megalodon
Super user
Super user

21 Dec 2007 19:43

Are you sure? I thought that when he was presented a fretless guitar (perhaps yours) he did a whole show with it, even though it was the first time to play on a fretless guitar. I do know that Guthrie is happy with Suhr guitars though...
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

27 Dec 2007 09:11

Maybe he wants to focus on fretted.
Sascha Muhr
Super user
Super user

03 Jan 2008 17:44

megalodon wrote: Guthrie is excellent, one day I offered him to try the Surfreter, but he never show me a real interest. Too bad snif!

don't worry give it to me!