Scott Allen/Scott Allen Project

Lets talk about music and musicians
Scott
Super user
Super user

10 Oct 2007 18:15

Hey all,

I just wanted to say hello to everyone on the Vigier forum, and introduce myself to those of you who don't know me. I am a Vigier artist from California, and I couldn't be happier to use these excellent guitars. I have played just about every singe axe on the market, and for years was convinced that Ibanez RGs were the best playing instruments available, that is until Ben showed me an Excalibur at the winter NAMM show in 07, and I was completely blown away. Now it is the only guitar I want to use. Anyway, for those interested in checking out my music you can go to www.scottallenproject.com, where you can find tons of cool stuff. My CD, What Lies Beyond Words is also available at Amazon.com, Metal Rendezvous Records, Guitar Nine Records, CD baby, Wayside Music, I-Tunes, and just about every digital music store that there is on the web. I am including a brief bio below, and I can't wait to chat with you all.

Scott Allen Project Bio-

Scott began playing guitar at age 11 after seeing a live Van Halen video.  He began taking lessons, and when he was twenty he attended the Musician?s Institute, G.I.T..  After getting the opportunity to study with the likes of Scott Henderson, Danny Gill, Brett Garsed, and Steve Trovato, Scott graduated from M.I. in March 1996. 

He moved back to Sacramento and began teaching guitar at Northridge Music Center, where he currently teaches 65 to 70 students weekly.  Scott also started playing lead guitar with local metal favorites 7 Years.  With 7 Years, he played countless gigs throughout the Sacramento area and recorded one EP.  After two years, the group disbanded, which led him to start his own group, Scott Allen Project. 

With Scott Allen Project he has opened for a number of national acts such as: Gary Hoey, Eric Martin of Mr. Big, Dave Maniketti of Y&T, Planet X (which featured Tony MaCalpine and Virgil Donati of The Steve Vai Band, and Derek Sherinian, formerly of Dream Theater), former MCA recording artists Zoppi, Frank Hannon of Tesla, and countless local bands. After several shows together, Frank Hannon ultimately agreed to produce and record Scott's debut CD What Lies Beyond Words. 

Scott Allen Project has re-released What Lies Beyond Words independently in West Coast locations early last year, and has concluded a West Coast tour starting in Los Angeles. The record is being distributed via: Metal Rendevous Records, CD Baby, Guitar Nine Records, New Artists Online, Indie Music Store Online, Scott Allen Project Online Store, Wayside Music, I-Tunes, and many other digital distributors.  A second record is in the works for release in 2008.  Scott has been featured in Mike Varney?s Spotlight Column in the January 2006 issue of Guitar Player Magazine. He has also received coverage in Northeast In-tune Magazine, Rise Music Magazine, Progressive Newsletter, Strutter Magazine, and Unsigned Music Magazine. Two tracks from What Lies Beyond Words are being featured on Ernie Ball Radio, on the Ernie Ball Music Man website.  Scott Allen Project has also received radio play on KRXQ 98 Rock, FTM Pod Cast network, The Refinery Rock Radio, Progrock Radio on Progrock.com, Metal Express Radio, Indie Connection Radio Show on X FM in New York, The Fusion Show on WCSB in Cleveland, and the For the Love of Guitar radio show in Romania. Scott Allen Project has received reviews on Shredaholic.com, the Guitar Zone, Guitar Chef Italy, Hard Rock Haven, Guitar Nine Records, 21st Century Metal Net, Music in Belgium, Metal Revolution, Metal Observer, MusicTap, Progscape.com, Rough Edge, Sea of Tranquility,  Metal Express Radio, Progressive Rock Brazil, Music Morsels, Ytsejam.com, and the ShredZone. Scott Allen Project has also provided the music for the KRXQ 98 Rock ?Bod Squad? DVD.  Scott writes instructional columns on the guitar websites, Guitar Nine Records, and Guitarz-For-Ever.com. Scott has recently finished shooting his first instructional DVD for Chops From *, which should be available shortly.  Guitar Nine Records has also featured Scott Allen Project as their Undiscovered Artist for November 2005. The band has received television exposure in the San Francisco Bay area, and radio and print promotion from as far away as Italy, Serbia & Montenegro, Argentina, Indonesia, and the UK. Scott Allen Project has also begun working with Jetset Sound, and Karnal Promotions, to service their music to television and film. Scott has also recently received equipment endorsements with Vigier Guitars, SIT Strings, Dimarzio Pickups, Morley Pedals, George L Cables, and Peavey Amplifiers. 

Press Reviews:

Mike Varney's Spotlight Column

Guitar Player Magazine

A live Van Halen video inspired Allen to begin playing guitar at age 11. Allen later relocated to Hollywood to attend G.I.T., where he studied with Scott Henderson, Brett Garsed, and Steve Trovato. After graduating in 1996, Allen accepted a teaching position at the Northridge Music Center, and assembled his own group, The Scott Allen Project. Allen?s What Lies Beyond Words?produced by Tesla guitarist Frank Hannon?was released in 2001, and will be re-released later this year, along with a follow-up instrumental CD. With heavy riffs setting the tone for many of his compositions, Allen utilizes some great Jeff Beck-like blues phrases, Van Halen-like aggression, and a full palate of shred chops.

What Lies Beyond Words Review

Progscape.com

Reviewed by Bill Knispel

Scott Allen has been playing guitar since first discovering Van Halen at 11. At 20 he enrolled at the Musician?s Institute, graduating in 1996 after studying with players such as Scott Henderson and Brett Garsed. The Scott Allen Project has been his main performing ensemble, having opened for national artists such as Planet X, Gary Hoey and Eric Martin of Mr. Big. Allen has also gotten significant press coverage for his playing in a variety of regional and national publications, including Guitar Player Magazine, Northeast In-tune Magazine, Rise Music Magazine, and Unsigned Music Magazine.

What Lies Beyond Words is Allen?s first album, and has been produced by Tesla guitarist Frank Hannon.

The first and most important thing that I must impress in this review is that this album is made up of songs. Not launching pads for instrumental * par excellence (or more accurately, in extremis). Scott Allen has crafted 11 tracks that stand as structured songs. Despite the guitar being the lead melodic voice, it would not be difficult at all to imagine these tracks with vocals.

Allen has assembled a strong supporting cast of musicians to bring these compositions to life. Tom Frost and Brian Kinney are a solid rhythm section on drums and bass, respectively. Marty Cresci handles rhythm guitar, and also gets an opportunity to show off a little with an outro solo on the album?s concluding track, ?The Clock is Ticking.? The band gels quite well, and it feels obvious that they?ve done some significant woodshedding to polish their playing and songwriting skills. Frank Hannon?s production pulls no punches, with crisp highs, a thick midrange and punchy lows that can rattle windows at high volumes, perfect for the high energy instrumental rock the Scott Allen Project brings to the table.

What Lies Beyond Words opens with ?I Want Some of This (Bring It On),? a rocker which alternates crunchy blues with Satriani-esque lead lines. ?The Grind? is just that; a sleazy mid tempo stomper with fuzzy, tremelo drenched guitar and a groove as deep as the Grand Canyon. Slower tracks such as ?Saying Goodbye? show some degree of Jeff Beck influence, as Allen wrings long, weepy sustained notes from his instrument while his bandmates drive a smooth, jazzy vamp underneath. The album contrasts this quiet mood with the raucous ?Eternal Optimist,? a bright, cheery rocker with bursts of double kick drum and tastefully crunchy rhythm guitar.

A jazzier vibe can be heard on ?The Cool Breeze,? with Cresci?s clean guitar chords glistening under overdriven leads. ?A Girl I Once Knew? is an uplifting, almost anthemic rocker, with keyboard orchestration and a tasteful harmonized lead tone.

The album closes with ?The Clock Is Ticking.? This track literally opens with the ticking of a stopwatch as the song shifts through several time and mood changes. It?s one of the least straightforward tracks on the album, and its complexity is effortless and enjoyable.

What Lies Beyond Words is appealing in that it offers actual songs for Allen to show off his guitar playing chops. With a surfeit of melody and less * per minute than most guitar-based instrumental albums, Scott Allen?s What Lies Beyond Words is striking evidence that his is a guitar voice worthy of mention alongside the current giants in the instrumental guitar arena. If you dig players like Satriani or Petrucci, especially at their most melodic, Scott Allen will be right up you alley.

Album Review

MusicTAP.net

Reviewed by Matt Rowe

If you need your ?70s guitar rock mainlined, then I have an album for you that?s pretty pure.  Scott Allen, whose guitar playing prowess is exceptional, and who plays the kind of stuff that you wish you could play, has assembled a band to put together a an album of instrumental rock with lots of lead that will not only feed your wish but also might have you mourning the good old days of guitar rock.

Scott Allen has patterned himself after guitar wizards like Eddie Van Halen, Neal Schon, and other luminaries but holds a stylistic feel similar to Eddie Van Halen.  That?s no surprise since it was a Van Halen MTV video that prompted Scott Allen to pick up a guitar in the first place. But, Scott Allen is, what you might say, 30 years too late to the party.  With his excellent playing abilities, it?s likely we might have been hearing about him in a broader sense, perhaps as a one-time member of a once popular band.  I?m always saddened by this for several reasons.  The first is that the ?70s era of rock was so good.   Having grown up in the middle of it leaves a pang that never really dissipates completely.  The second is that there are artists, like Scott Allen, who understand the era so well and plays like it.

The Scott Allen Project, his assembled band, has opened for Planet X, as well as a number of artists that originated with popular bands like Y&T, Mr Big, and Tesla.  What Lies Beyond Words, the band?s album, was produced by Frank Hannon (Tesla).  This album of 11 solid rock instrumentals is not only a selection of great tunes to listen to but they?ll remind you of instrumentals that slotted into albums back in the ?70s.

Entrenched music listeners will remember Copeland?s IRS Records NoSpeak albums in the late ?80s. While the content on those album series varied, the spirit of that series is found on What Lies Beyond Words, the title a reference to the album?s instrumental music.  Highlights include ?The Cool Breeze,? ?A Girl I Once Knew,? and well?just about all of the 11 songs.  I don?t think any ?70s/?80s styled, hard rock fan is going to argue about any of the songs here once the smoke clears.  The band is currently in the studio working on their next album, due out later this year (2007). 

The Undiscovered

Guitar 9 Records

Recently returning to hard rock instrumental music after spending time in a pop/rock band, California guitarist Scott Allen submitted his CD-R pre-release version of an upcoming album, What Lies Beyond Words. Guitar fans will note that Allen is an impressively fluid player (attendance at Hollywood's G.I.T. probably has something to do with that), with a style marked by an incendiary sense of phrasing. Frank Hannon of Tesla produced the tracks on What Lies Beyond Words, which also features rhythm guitarist Marty Cresci, powerhouse drumming courtesy of Tom Frost and the low end work of bassist Brian Kinney. The band meshes well together, setting a fine rhythmic stage for Allen's razor-edged * of licks, bends, hooks and fills. Instrumental fans will find a lot to like here, and should be looking forward to 2006 when two Scott Allen Project CDs will hit the market.

Scott began playing the guitar at the age of eleven after witnessing the incredible playing of Eddie Van Halen on a live videotape. After studying with many teachers, he finally had become something of a decent guitarist by the age of eighteen. Two years after graduating from high school, he attended the Musician?s Institute G.I.T, at age twenty. There he learned to refine his chops from pros like Scott Henderson, Danny Gill, Brett Garsed and Steve Trovato. Scott moved back to his hometown of Sacramento, where he began immediately teaching guitar at Northridge Music Center. After hooking up with like-minded musicians, he started the Scott Allen Project and began gigging, opening for such national acts as: Gary Hoey, Dave Meniketti, Planet X, and Frank Hannon of Tesla. An underwhelming response to their demo led to an extended hiatus (three and a half years).

In 2004, Allen decided that it was time to return to his instrumental guitar roots. He acquired the necessary equipment to begin demos for a new Scott Allen Project album. An early 2006 re-release of What Lies Beyond Words is in the works, as is a limited West Coast tour, and the late 2006 release of the new SAP album.

shredaholic.com

What Lies Beyond Words

Hey guys, today I will be reviewing the album "What Lies Beyond Words" by Scott Allen. This album rocks from the get go, with a great tone and great fluid technique, great sweeping and shredding!!!

This is your Heavy rockin' album with kickin' riffs great melodies and not forgetting some great flashy guitar work, but also there are a lot of softer songs as well which adds to the variety of this album. The riffs have great groove to them and the great production on this disk brings out the clearness and clarity of every instrument to make this disk an even greater listening experience.

There is definitely a lot of funk influence in the tracks, with the driving groove of the bass and some very catchy staccato esque guitar riffs. There is a little synth also present on here on track 4 ''A girl I once knew'', which gives some of the music more of a retro 80's feel.

I like the way this album is mixed with more heavier, wild hard rock tunes and more ballad type songs with great melodies, as I've stated before, I feel this disk benefits more from the variation. Some of the tunes on this disk have a very positive, uplifting feel about them with a great drive and great sense of melody which I find excellent. I cant really decide on my favourite tracks on this album, because I honestly think they are all really good, especially the more lead based melody tracks.

And so overall, I think this album is very good. Great songs, good variation of speed, great melodies, great arrangements, great tone, great fluid technique and great production.

Definitely recommended.

Copyright ?  Richard Niczyperowicz 2006

Scott Allen Project Review

Northeast In-Tune Magazine

Scott Allen is possibly one of the best guitarists around today. His band The Scott Allen Project is a great back up for a great guitarist. With review after review they all seem to agree on the same thing that Scott Allen Project while influenced by previous Rock legends is a fresh and alive band that is not something to be missed. Well this review will be no different. Playing the guitar since the age of 11 Scott Allen is an up and coming guitar genius. And his records and fingers are the main subjects in proving this. See what happens to you when you play one of his albums, you'll get some of the best guitar work you might have ever heard. Anybody can learn guitar but it takes a true Talent to reach the level that Allen is on. His records are always

recorded with good production, great songs and of course flawless guitar playing. It wouldn't be wise to miss his dates. He and his band are truly on the road to legendary status.

The Guitar Zone

Written by VinnyH   

Friday, 17 November 2006 

Can't stop listening to Scott Allen's new CD. Put it in my PC to review a few hours ago and haven't stopped listening to it yet. As it keeps repeating in my player I get Steve Vai and Joe Satriani vibes.

The Scott Allen Project has produced a great instrumental album full of shred and balanced with some of the tastiest solos I've heard in a while. With Cedris Wilson on drums and Brian Kinney on bass, Scott Allen has just been added to my rotation at work and everywhere else.

An interesting note is that Scott began playing at age eleven. My son started at eleven and now at twelve has been a big Vai and Satriani listener. It took him a few minutes and some hints from me to realize it wasn't a new album by one of his favorites but he immediately wanted it for his collection. Thanks for the inspiration Scott!

We haven't picked a favorite song and may not be able to. All the songs jump out and grab you with their riffs and subtle effects. Scott uses a few different guitars but seems to like his Ibanez. Peavey amps and Morley pedals round out his basic gear.

The Scott Allen Project can be  visited at www.ScottAllenProject.com . You will no doubt be glad you did. The album is available at iTunes, CD Baby, and many other outlets.

Album Review

Guitar Chef ? Italy

SCOTT ALLEN PROJECT | What Lies Beyond Words |

Sbarca su GuitarChef il californiano axe-man Scott Allen che non e' certo arrivato ieri! Gia' all'attivo motli concerti di spalla con calibri di Gary Hoey, Eric Martin dei Mr Big, Dave Meniketti dei Y&T e Planet X. Il progetto in questione e' prodotto dal grande Frank Hannon chitarrista indiscusso dei noti Tesla. Infatti mr Hannon ci ha visto bene: un bel disco rockeggiante con chiari riferimenti ad altri con Van Halen e Paul Gilbert su tutti. L'opener U Want Some Of This(Bring It On) spara a tutta con un riff micidiale e un bel fraseggio melodico di Allen. La tecnica del nostro hero e' impeccabile ma senza lasciare alle spalle molta melodia e questo mi ha colpito subito. Un buon sano rock 'n Roll come nella precedente The Grind. Scott ha molto gusto e riesce a farci "ballare" con le sue ritmiche che ci fanno carpire un amore per il sound 80/90 a-la' Nuno e Housholder. Da mensionare la bella ballad Saying Goodbye e la melodica Eternal Optimist. Per il resto che dire: un disco che fara' impazzire di gioa i veri amanti delle sei corde! Da avere! Great great great! WEBSITE

Album Review

Metal Express Radio

Reviewed by George Fustos

Metal Express Rating: 9.5/10

It?s that time again when another Instrumental album/LP/CD takes up space on the shelf. Unfortunately, many people look at it that way. Instead of taking the time in finding out more about the new release/group/band, they prefer to remain ignorant. The sad thing about all of this is just about everyone is at fault at one point or another in their lifetime, doing the exact same thing when it comes to music, especially new and/or independent music. It?s hard to believe that something totally * kickin? can almost get lost along the wayside as if it never existed. Scott Allen?s story, for the most part, begins almost like the countless others you hear or read about.

Scott began playing a 6-string at age 11, thanks to Eddie Van Halen, who influenced him through a Van Halen video. After many years of taking lessons and practicing, he enrolled in the Musician?s Institute, Guitar Institute of Technology (G.I.T.) in Hollywood, California at the age of 20. At G.I.T., Scott studied under the likes of Scott Henderson, Danny Gill, Brett Garsed, and Steve Trovato. You can say that anything Scott wasn?t that good at playing before he attended, he was proficient in when he left the program. He graduated in 2 years in 1996 and moved back to his home town of Sacramento, California where he began teaching guitar at the Northridge Music Center, now at 65-70 students per week. Meanwhile, Scott became the lead guitarist for a local area favorite Metal band called 7 Years. After 2 long years of going nowhere, the group disbanded, and at this time the Scott Allen Project was formed.

The Scott Allen Project has opened for many big name bands over the years such as: Gary Hoey, Dave Maniketti (Y&T), Planet X (feat. Tony MaCalpine & Virgil Donati of the Steve Vai band and Derek Sherinian, formerly of Dream Theater), Frank Hannon (Tesla), and many others. The Scott Allen Project is made up of Scott Allen - lead guitar and keyboards; Brian Kinney - bass; Tom Frost - drums and percussion; Marty Cresci - rhythm guitar. All very talented musicians in their own right.

Originally, What Lies Beyond Words was released in 2001 and re-released independently in West Coast locations earlier in the year. So how does one express the styles and playing of Scott Allen? Razor-edged * of licks, bends, hooks, and fills; staccato-esque riffs, smooth arpeggios, tricky tapping techniques, and tremolo bars here and there. Nothing short of your typical guitar genius at work, utilizing an * of guitar wizardry at his fingertips (no pun intended).

Scott?s debut album consists of 11 tracks, almost 45 minutes in length. The genre it falls under is Instrumental Hard Rock, and it has wonderful fluidity from beginning to end. The tracks on What Lies Beyond Words range from hard and heavy all the way down to mellow. The heavier tunes on the CD are ?U Want Some of This (Bring It On),? ?The Grind,? and the closer ?The Clock Is Ticking? (more on that one later). These two show that the Scott Allen Project can bring it on and crank it up. ?The Cool Breeze? is one of the better songs on the CD. It might be a little mellow or slow getting out of the gate, but as it goes on, you realize that it is musically intense, flowing with incredible playing and talent all the way around. ?Eternal Optimist? kicks it up a notch with intense percussion and guitar to match. ?Sapphire Sky? starts out mellow and puts it into gear about 2 minutes in with an impressive bass run, non-stop guitar solos, and just a beautiful mix of guitar, bass, and drums that seems to flow endlessly until the song ends.

There are indeed some "mellower" tracks, those being ?A Girl I Once Knew,? ?We Watched the Sunrise,? (the guitar work by Scott is exceptional on this with equally intense percussion) and ?Saying Goodbye.? Don?t let the word "mellow" fool you, however. Scott does something to them that other bands just can?t pull off and makes them sound so good that you don?t even think about whether or not the song is this or that. All you know is that it?s good!

?My Bad Mojo? has good percussion to it with non-stop bass for those digging low end. The closing track is probably the best track on here. ?The Clock Is Ticking? starts off as if you are watching 60 Minutes on TV. Then, for a second, you think ?As I Close My Eyes Forever? is about to kick in, but it doesn?t. Next up, an 80?s sounding riff that that has you saying, ?haven?t I heard that before? until the track finally begins. There is a bass run at 1:50 until 2:05 that just sounds so * cool you want to go off and learn it. Well worth the wait and more so the listen.

This is one of those releases that have you eagerly awaiting the next song to see what it?s like, because you love the track you are on so much. This CD is as solid as they come all the way through. Every song is good with no duds. It would be a shame if What Lies Beyond Words is not added to your music collection.

Album Review

21st CenturyMetal.net

This CD is the first full-length album by a band formed by guitarist Scott Allen hailing from Sacramento. Scott started playing guitar after inspired by VAN HALEN. He graduated from M.I. (Musician's Institute) and now teaches guitars in his hometown, playing gigs with his band, supporting acts such as Gary Hoey, Eric Martin, Dave Meniketti or PLANET X etc.

What he creates here is much like driving american hard rock music without vocals. His style is quite straightforward and he plays everything from smooth arpeggios to heavy riffs, utilizing some tricky tapping technique and tremolo arms here and there. It's as if you take the influence Eddie Van Halen, John Petrucci, Joe Satriani and Reb Beach, and blend them together. He is yet neither a shredder nor a neo-classical player, so you can't expect a lot of speed passages, but he managed to impress with a good songwriting that can also be complimented by vocals. One weak point of the whole performance is the rhythm parts. Everything would sound a lot more solid if they could keep the rhythms as tight as it can be. Produced by Frank Hannon (TESLA). Go check out some samples on Scott's homepage.

(Reviewed by Masa ; 2006.12.15

Album Review

Music in Belgium

Scott Allen est un virtuose am?ricain de la guitare ayant fait ses classes au G.I.T.. "What Lies Behind Words", son premier album, a ?t? produit par Frank Hannon du groupe Tesla.

Comme beaucoup de guitaristes issus du Musician's Institute, le jeu de Scott Allen ne comporte pas vraiment de surprises. Il dispose d'une technique excellente, rien ? dire de ce c?t?-l?, mais musicalement c'est un petit peu stereotyp?. Les m?lodies, les rythmiques tendance boogie, certains solos ou d?manch?s..., rien de vraiment neuf, m?me si c'est parfaitement ex?cut?.

Parmi les bons titres de cet album, je citerai sans h?siter "A Girl I Once Knew" dont la rythmique est plus emport?e, c'est plus carr? et muscl?. Ca d?lire un peu contrairement ? d'autres titres ou ?a sonne trop propre. Et ce c?t? propre est justement ? mon avis le probl?me majeur de beaucoup de guitaristes am?ricains form?s dans le milieu du rock/fusion. On aimerait parfois entendre quelque chose de plus arrach?, de plus instinctif.

"My Bad Mojo" tend un petit peu dans cette direction plus spontan?e. Viens ensuite une ballade, "Saying Goodbye" o? l'on retrouve un peu les phras?s de Satriani, ce n'est pas mal mais l? encore, ?a manque un peu d'originalit?.

Scott Allen est sans conteste un excellent guitariste et il a l'avantage de ne pas verser dans la d?monstration comme beaucoup. Cet album plaira aux amateurs du genre car s'il n'est pas transcendant d'originalit?, il n'en demeure pas moins agr?able ? l'?coute. A suivre, puisqu'un deuxi?me album semble pr?vu pour cette ann?e.

Album Review

Rough Edge

Reviewed by Christopher J. Kelter

Trying to find diversity in the solo instrumental guitar realm is harder than you might think. Originality is even harder to find and sometimes you have to settle for just the diversity.

"What Lies Beyond Words," the latest effort by newcomer Scott Allen and his Scott Allen Project, offers the kind of diversity that we at Rough Edge look for in instrumental guitar music. As expected, Joe Satriani-type surfing rockers ?U Want Some of This? and ?A Girl I Once Knew? are indicative of Satch?s on-going influence two decades after he burst onto the scene ? I?ll never hold that against anyone. ?The Grind,? ?My Bad Mojo,? and ?Under the Mexican Moon? are funky numbers and six-string workouts that show a solo guitarist who probably felt trapped by the pure ?surfing? style so popularized by Satriani?s rise to fame. One slow burner in the form of ?The Cool Breeze? indicates how Scott Allen can use a patient melody to be blues-like without actually referencing the blues. Ballads are inescapable in this genre and the trio of ?We Watched the Sunrise,? ?Saying Goodbye,? and ?Sapphire Sky? shows how sensitivity and skillful playing can mesh well. Muscular, crushing rockers like ?Eternal Optimist? and ?The Clock is Ticking? give the sense that Scott Allen can abandon subtlety for something more primal.

Overall, Scott Allen?s sense of composition and wide-ranging guitar slinging skills separate him from most of the unknown and underground guitarists in the guitar-based instrumental genre. Ultimately, ?What Lies Beyond Words? is fun to listen to because of the diversity ? the skillful playing is a bonus.

?What Lies Beyond Words? was produced by Frank Hannon (Tesla) and Scott Allen.

Scott Allen Project is Scott Allen on all rhythm guitars, lead guitars (except where noted), and keyboards; Marty Cresci on rhythm guitar (and outro solo on ?The. Clock Is Ticking?), Brian Kinney on bass, and Tom Frost on drums and percussion.

Album Review-

Progressive Newsletter

Scott Allen Project ? What lies beyond words

(44:40, Privatpressung, 2006)

Scott Allens Leben ver?nderte sich, als er mit elf Jahren ein Van Halen-Video anschaute. Es kam, was kommen musste: Luftgitarre, hingemeuchelte Sparschweine, die erste Schraddel, Unterricht, Hornh?ute... Dies endete bei Allen aber nicht - wie bei den meisten von uns Normalsterblichen - in der frustrierenden Erkenntnis, dass Eddy Van Halen nicht wirklich erreichbar ist. Sondern endete (vorl?ufig) als Gitarrendozent beim Northridge Music Center sowie in der Position als erste Violine bei der Sacramentoer Metal-Formation 7 Years. Und beim eigenen Scott Allen Project, das schon u. a. f?r Dave Meniketti, Eric Martin oder Planet X Konzerte er?ffnet hat. Am Projekt sind ?ber den Boss hinaus je ein Rhythmus-Gitarrist, Bassist und Schlagwerker beteiligt. ?berdies konnte f?r die Produktion der vorliegenden CD mit Frank Hannon (Tesla) ein erfahrener Profi gewonnen werden. Beide Umst?nde f?hren wohl dazu, dass im Gegensatz zu so vielen anderen selbstproduzierten Gitarrengott-Projekten die St?cke von ?Beyond words? meist deutlich nachvollziehbare Songstrukturen aufweisen und wir nicht etwa von Dauergegniedel ?ber Konserven-Drums ermattet werden.

Dass er ein Schneller der Zunft ist, muss und darf Allen nat?rlich dennoch zeigen, beispielsweise mittels der Tapping-Ekstasen von ?A girl I once knew? oder ?The clock is ticking?. Am st?rksten wirkt diese Projektmusik jedoch immer dann, wenn wie bei ?My Bad Mojo?, ?Saying goodbye? oder ?Sapphire sky? deutlich das Tempo reduziert wird, auch akustische Gitarren zum Einsatz kommen und Allen ?berwiegend in getragenen B?gen soliert. M?sste den Fans von z. B. Vinnie Moores oder Neal Schons Soloschaffen stark zusagen. Das gute St?ck kann u. a. ?ber scottallenproject.com, Guitar Nine Records und I-tunes angelandet werden.

Klaus Reckert

Album Review

Progressiverockbr.com-

SCOTT ALLEN PROJECT - "What Lies Beyond Words"

From the GIT Music Center here is Scott Allen. He was born in Sacramento (USA), this good guitar player started his musical activities in the 70?s. But the 80?s reserved for him a good moment in his life, when he joined metal band "7 Years". The band finished activities int the 90?s, so he decided to form his own band, called Scott Allen Project. Doing good gigs as opening act from "Eric Martin" (former "Mr Big" singer) and "Planet X" (band from "Derek Sherinian"), he started recording his first CD with Tom Frost in the drums, Brian Kinney in the Bass and Marty Cresci in the second guitar. What do we have here? Another "Steve/Satriani" clone? Not... Scott Allen is more into hard rock and "Eddie Van Halen", as we see in ?U Want Some Of This (Bring It On)?, and ?The Grind?. ?A Girl I Once Knew? is an excelent hard-AOR moment, with a good vibration (it?s difficult to me to sing a solo, but in this track it happened), and ?Mr Bad Mojo? has some pieces of Satriani (okay, he?s one of the biggest influences of all guitar players). Tracks like ?Eternal Optmist?, the slow and sweet ?Under The Mexican Moon? and the good ?The C

Ben
VIP
VIP

10 Oct 2007 22:15

Hi Scott,           Welcome to the boards, it is good to see you on here! Hope all is nice and warm in California?