What Bass Amp for Excess Roger Glover Signature?

Let's talk about the amps, effects, etc… that you use with your Vigier, tell us how you get your sound.
Phil_K
Super user
Super user

17 Feb 2013 15:04

Hi Guys,

at the moment i play it through the Hartke HA3500 350W amp with Hartke XL cabinets. Unfortunately it doesn't make the Excess justice.

So now I'm looking for a full on Rock sound with grinding basses, clear heights and the ability to handle the occasional slap, overdrive/fuzz/distortion or hammering sub-bass.
All in all I would hope for a great sounding versatile amp. I don't really care how much power the amp has.

Hope for some great suggestons :)
Cheers
Phil

Eoin-T

26 Apr 2013 10:08

Hello. I don't have the Roger Glover model, but I have had an Excess for almost 9 years. Personally I think that the Excess sounds best when played through a hybrid/all valve amp that doesn't have a lot of pre-shapes and extra eq which in my opinion detracts from the natural sound of the bass itself.

Currently I'm using a Trace Elliot v6 which produces a massive sound. Other amps I have tried with success are a Mesa Boogie Walkabout and EBS Fafner. 

The best thing to do however is just play a lot of amps and see which one you like best. There are so many great amps being made just now and an Excess will sound great through all of them.

ONS
Super user
Super user

27 Apr 2013 08:47

I'm not a bass player but I have a friend who has both Vigier and Specter basses and would play them thru a Taurus amp. He has such a high esteem of the amp.