Which amp should I get? H&K, Mesa, Engl? Opinions wanted!

Let's talk about the amps, effects, etc… that you use with your Vigier, tell us how you get your sound.
fretwired
Super user
Super user

06 Jan 2010 10:11

That's great Ben! Jon here (ex Line 6) - I have a 101b and the oversized Bogner 2x12 - that is a great rig. I've been using the 101b live for over a year now, I can't imagine ever wanting another 'rock' amp. My rig is  guitar>Bad Horsie Wah>Tuner>Bogner (with G-Major in the loop). I'm thinking about getting a new distortion box, possibly the modded DS-1 - I find the best drive tones are by setting the gains to around noon on the red and blue channels, using the L excursion, running prescence high, and usually using B1 pre switch. A distortion pedals can give either channel a little extra sizzle for a more classic Vai kind of shreddy tone - like he gets on Alien Love Secrets.Anyway, enjoy the amp - hope to see you soon!Jon
Ben
VIP
VIP

06 Jan 2010 13:08

Hi Jon,          Happy New Year! I am still experimenting with the tones on the Ecstasy, there is so much variation. I too have found on the blue and red channels that the gain sounds sweetest around 12-1 o'clock. I am using the Bogner 4x12 cab, but do want one of the oversized 2x12 cabs - to stop hurting my back - though that will have to wait till I have sold some other bits!I run my presence quite low, around 11 o'clock and have the pre eq set to 'N'' apart from B1 on the blue channel. My structure is set to 'H' and the boost set to L. I run my Excursion switch at 'L' as well. I am sure I will keep tweaking my sound as yet I have just used it at relatively low volumes - once it is cranked I am sure I will play more with the tonal variations. I am yet to put any pedals apart from wah through it...more things to try though!!! All in all it is the most fantastic gain amp I have used and I could not be more pleased!!!
guitari9
Super user
Super user

07 Jan 2010 06:05

Happy new year to all. Well, I did end up buying the 101B as well as a Soldano Decatone. Not only are the sounds great but the flexibility is amazing. The amount of detail and care that has gone into designing and crafting the amp is inspiring. The only thing is that I havent found a distortion/overdrive/screamer pedal that works well with the Ecstasy. For some reason all of them suck the tone out of the amp and add a lot of mud. I am looking for is something to push the amp while retaining the tone..any ideas? However, I use the Soldano most of the time over the Ecstasy for band situations. Though the Ecstasy has a more complex tone, its a soloing guitarist's amp whereas the openness and brightness of the Soldano seems to cut a tad better with other instruments. Overall, in my quest for a mid-high gain amp(s) I tried almost everything except the Diezels and the Elmwoods. The Cornford MK50 comes very close and Splawns if you want to play metal.