Vigier Excalibur Supraa HSH volume pot

Lets talk about guitars
Antman
New
New

25 Oct 2022 22:33

Hello everyone, I'm the proud new owner of a second hand, Vigier Excalibur Supraa HSH guitar in rock art finish. The guitar is set up with 10s and so I understand I may need to change the nut if I want to go down to 9s. The amber pick ups sound great but I've noticed that the volume pot does not seem to function as it should. The volume pot rather oddly seems to function similar to the tone pot, almost like an additional tone pot (but not quite as drastic). What concerns me is that the volume does not fade down to silence. Both pots appear to have a small taper as well within the wind. Regarding the volume pot, is it normal for the guitar not to roll back into silent? Might I have a faulty pot or wiring issue? I have contacted the seller to find out but wondered if anyone could help shed any light on that here. Many thanks in advance 
marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

26 Oct 2022 03:51

Antman wrote: the volume does not fade down to silence.
One of the lugs of your volume pot should be soldered to the pot’s casing, and another wire soldered there takes that signal to the ground lug of the output jack. This is what grounds (silences) the signal in the pot when the wiper is turned all the way down. You need to either fix something in the wiring (such as a  broken or cold solder joint) or replace the pot (if there’s an internal issue with the wiper).  Any tech should be able to quickly identify and fix the issue once the guitar is on their bench. If you want to try it yourself first, there are YouTube videos explaining how volume pots function and how to install them.