I finally bought a Shawn Lane model! (Setup?)

Lets talk about guitars
MatsMoland
New
New

17 Oct 2022 19:02

I've wanted one of these for more than 10 years! I found a used one and bought it as fast as possible!

But I think the previous owner has changed the setup slightly, so I want to get it as close to original as I can. How does the bridge come setup from Vigier? I've added a picture of how mine looks. It's resting against the wood at a slight angle.

Also, the previous owner said he raised the action a little.
Attachments
DSCN1538.JPG
DSCN1530.JPG
DSCN1525.JPG
marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

17 Oct 2022 19:52

The guitar comes from the factory with the bridge docked against the body as in your photos. I’m guessing the previous owner raised the action at the saddles (they all appear to be off the baseplate), rather than by adjusting the pivot posts at the front of the bridge plate. If you’re wanting height measurements string-by-string, someone else will need to chime in with those. In my experience, the fingerboard radius being removed as a factor means that setting up the action of a SL is a matter of lowering each string until fretted notes start to “plink” and sound dead, then backing off a bit. Your ultimate string height/gauge preference may vary, because Shawn’s preferences (the factory specs) were most definitely not in line with most players’.