New member, setup questions for an Excalibur Original

Lets talk about guitars
twangsta

20 Sep 2013 11:00

Hi Folks,

I'm new here, writing from India. I just bought an Excalibur Origial from a buddy of mine, not sure which year it is but it's been sitting in it's case all this while and I wouldn't be surprised its still on it's factory setup and original strings it was shipped with.

It arrives Monday, I'm very excited and had a few quesitons about setup as this is my first guitar without a truss rod.

From what I understand is you reccomend only 9-46 string guage. I have to questions around this:

1. What do I need to adjust if I want to tune to E flat, the most obvoius would be the spring claw but would I need to also adjust intonation and string height?

2. What if I want to put 10-46/48 gauge strings on there?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Ben
VIP
VIP

23 Sep 2013 09:23

You can put any gauge strings you choose, it is not a problem. If you do so, you will still need to adjust the action and inntonation - this could include the tension on teh bridge (claw). You will not need to worry about any neck adjustmenst though, as the 10/90 neck is stable!!! 

twangsta

23 Sep 2013 11:49

Hi Ben,

Thanks! Can't wait to get my hands on this guitar, I thought it was stock but turns out the neck pup has been swapped with a Dimarzio of some kind and it's got a solderless wiring, not sure from the pic what the serial is so I havne't dated it yet. Have solderless wiring harnesses been standard on Vigiers? Trying to figure out what's stock and not.

I've have great sucess with raw vintage springs in my strats, they have a heavier mass and lower tension so you get to use 5 instead of 3 for example with the same tension and then adjust the claw for additional fine tuning. I'm toying wiht the idea of putting a set in and trying them out. But that might be missing the point about introducing some reverb effect as these springs tend to do into a guitar like this for drive tones. Something to experiement with I guess.

Idle mind at work so thinking about every possible and even unecessary tweak, never had a floyd rose equipped guitar before. Wondering about those middle holes on that pickguard too. Got to wait till tomorrow morning. Bit heavy on my mind, recieving my Lentz Croyden Carvetop with this guitar at the same time...phew!

I think I've read every thread and watched every video of Vigier guitars, over night fan.

Cheers!

Sid.

Ben
VIP
VIP

23 Sep 2013 11:58

Hi Sid,

This is the best place to learn more about your guitar. Certainly you can disconnect the pickguard, but as for the pickups and what is stock / mods you will have to wait until she is in your hands. 

Feel free to experiment as much as you want - and please do post on here your thoughts / findings. We can only learn from each others experience of the guitars!

The middle screw is so you can adjust the tilt in all directions, giving you a more even volume from the strings through the pickup - small innovation, but one of many that makes Vigier guitars stand out from the crowd.

Bet it feels like Christmas to wait for tomorrow to get here with your guitar?!? 

twangsta

23 Sep 2013 12:04

Sure thing Ben, I'll be a regular around here and I'm already got plans for another Vigier, something more traditional this time. Due to the humidity in Bombay, when I comeback home and turn my A/Cs on, the humidity drops from 90/80 to 30 or more! All my guitars shift tuning a bit, I'm betting the excalibur neck will be the only one not to suffer this shift on a daily basis.

Cheeers!

Ben
VIP
VIP

23 Sep 2013 12:12

twangsta wrote:

All my guitars shift tuning a bit, I'm betting the excalibur neck will be the only one not to suffer this shift on a daily basis.

Yep, the 10/90 neck is amazing in this respect, not only are there no dead spots, greater sustain and fuller tone, but also it doesn't move like other guitar necks do with humidity / climate changes.

twangsta

27 Sep 2013 05:26

It finally arrived a few days ago.

Lovely guitar, it's actually perfect for what it is! Sounds beautiful through my Dr.Z Carmen Ghia clean, not sure what that neck pickup is but it's def better than the bridge pup, I'll look into changing that soon.

The guitar by itself is all you guys say it is, the trem is very good, was easy to work with and set up. The intonation worked perfectly with the slinkys 9-46 I put in there, adjusted the string height to taste.

I put in those Raw Vintage springs, all five of them, adjusted the claw, I like the trem bar to be parallel to the body so it's tipping forward aobut 15 or less maybe, had to adjust the string height due to that. Now it's prefect, such a refreshing thing to not muck about with the truss rod!

There's only one issue I need to solve yet besides chaning the bridge pup and switch, I'd much rather prefer the ones found on USA strats and maybe a PIO cap for the tone, this one is too stiff. I suspect the pots are 500k which is good for the HB's, thery're working perfectly.

Ah the issue is a bit of wiggle with the trem bar in, the sleeve pocket has a bit of play and is a bit annoying on something so precise, I'll try packing it with some paper or something, are there any better solutions for this, like lated rubber or something? Hmmmm.. I'm thinking if I can get the the right kind of shrink rubber sleeving, but I suspect the gap is too narrow, but just enough to be annoying, maybe I just need to learn to ignore it.

But man thanks for doing what you guys have been doing, bloody brililant overall!

twangsta

27 Sep 2013 05:33

Thought I'd share a family pic :DThe Lentz is ridiculous, never heard such a rich tone. All different guitars. I'm done... I think ;)

djsaysauce
VIP
VIP

27 Sep 2013 11:47

Re. play of trem arm in sleeve. I get that too on my 2011 trem. I have to tighten the screw ring tight or let the arm hang loose and ignore the play.

twangsta

30 Sep 2013 04:36

twangsta wrote:

Re. play of trem arm in sleeve. I get that too on my 2011 trem. I have to tighten the screw ring tight or let the arm hang loose and ignore the play.

Yeah I'm just ignoring. Not an issue when plugged in really.

twangsta

05 Oct 2013 17:19

Been bonding with the Vigier .... great stratty tones!

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12523919&q=hi&newref=1

yuri1973
VIP
VIP

11 Nov 2013 22:40

cool tone and great playing mate !!