Sustain issue on low e on my Kaos

Lets talk about guitars
ViktorL
New
New

26 Jul 2013 20:49

Hi everyone,

I've had my Kaos for a little over a two years now and I'm really happy with it.

I had the stock gauges on and a while back I wanted to tune down one step to D and decided to go up to .11's. So far so good, I managed to set up the bridge and the intonation just fine but now after a while I'm noticing a strange problem and that is that while the strings don't generally buzz they have a lot less sustain than they used to especially the low e-string but all of them basically die very quickly once you start fretting notes above the 12th fret.

Any idea what this could be? Is the nut something that needs to be addressed here? String action is very low around the 7th fret but at the last fret it's close to 3mm which seems a bit high but I have no idea how to lower it here without absolutely dropping it to 0 on the lower frets but I don't know if this pertains to my situation.

I'm not too experienced with setups but before I take this to a tech and pay money to fix it I wanted to see if this is something that I could remedy.

Thank you in advance everybody :)

Ben
VIP
VIP

27 Jul 2013 11:04

Could be the strings you are using...also lowering the action will not help this, possibly make it worse. Try different set-ups and strings to see if this cure's your issue. 

stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

27 Jul 2013 21:33

Try lowering the pickups slightly too, and check the strings have space to run thru the nut.