Vigier GV Wood/Rock vs. Gibson Les Paul

Lets talk about guitars
Les Paul Lover
Super user
Super user

04 Jan 2013 13:44

alright......

As per my user name, one might guess that I'm pretty fond of les paul guitars.... I stumbled upon Vigier inadvertently, I needed (ok, wanted) a strat, wanted to buy it 2nd hand..... until I tried a Vigier Expert retro 54 (bought it new a few months later). 2 years+ on, I absolutely love that Vigier.

And as much as I love my Gibons Les Paul standard (really great guitar), when i play it, I know it's not my expert's neck..... it's a great chunky neck, really lovely to play.... but it hasn't got that "exactitude" feel that my expert has under my fingers. It's a weird feeling to explain.

So unthinkably, I know want one of the GV guitars..... Which of the GV wood/rock has a tone that's comparable to a les paul? I remember watching a you tube of a recent guns n roses concert, I thought the GV guitar that was played didn't sound like a LP, it was quite different - its own guitar & tone really. Now it may be just the amp that this guitarist uses, or it could be his particular GV, I have no idea...

What are your thoughts? Any insights? A particular model that gets really close to it? Many thanks!!!!! :D

Ben
VIP
VIP

08 Jan 2013 09:41

Ron Thal uses both G.V. Rock and G.V. Wood's live for Guns N' Roses. If you can, play the G.V. models side by side, they all have a very individual feel and tone. I think the G.V. Rock is a more 'modern' tone and hotter output. The G.V. Wood has a more 'sophisticated' (if this is the right word) edge to it's tone and probably closer to a more traditional single-cut tone.

ONS
Super user
Super user

08 Jan 2013 11:40

Last weekend I had a close look on GV Wood Stonewash Blue in Stage Music. It's a great guitar. I have a GV Metal and the moment I touched GV Wood I inevitably compared both. I immediately knew that GV Wood was not my type. I would try Wood and Rock but would not overlook Metal if I were you. Don't let the name fool you, GV metal has tons of tone, very fun and easy to play. One more thing that struck me is how silent these guitars are when you do not play them although they are sustain monsters...

Ben
VIP
VIP

08 Jan 2013 12:08

Les Paul Lover wrote:

I would try Wood and Rock but would not overlook Metal if I were you. 

This is very true...all 4 guitars (inc the P90) in the G.V. series are beautiful instruments, each with a very personal voice and unique feel.

Les Paul Lover
Super user
Super user

08 Jan 2013 16:26

Wasn't a GV done with a mahogany body?

I thought I read a review somewhere that said so?

Or is it an option? I see on the website they are all listed as having an alder body.

I expect alder would make them quite a bit brighter, more articulate... but also perhaps a touch less warm?

Would that assumption be correct?

Though I'll confess I was surprised at how warm my Vigier Expert sound, single coils, alder body and all.

Ben
VIP
VIP

08 Jan 2013 17:47

Yes, we did a limited edition Mahogany G.V. it is no longer available.

With the research, application and delivery of the G.V. series I really came to appreciate different preconceptions about woods / pickups / construction etc.

I too, used to think a single-cut 'had' to be Mahogany and not Alder...but the G.V. shows that the idea of the "Mahogany, set-neck / neck-thru body construction with (insert brand) pick-ups" is a preconception that can be very wrong (I guess you already see this with the tone / feel / quality of your Expert Retro 54). This is just one of the surprises, I think, that makes the G.V. such a beautiful and rewarding jewel of a guitar to play.

From one artist who has both an Alder and Mahogany G.V. After touring the world his observations were that the Alder body G.V. had the best suited sound for him - even though he was sure, beyond doubt, that the Mahogany would have had the 'best' sound before he set out!!

FYI - Like many others, I was lucky to 'cherry-pick' a great Les Paul some years ago, I happily let it go and my G.V. Wood is probably my favourite 'go-to' guitar. 

Les Paul Lover
Super user
Super user

18 Jan 2013 13:15

Les Paul Lover wrote:

Yes, we did a limited edition Mahogany G.V. it is no longer available.

With the research, application and delivery of the G.V. series I really came to appreciate different preconceptions about woods / pickups / construction etc.

I too, used to think a single-cut 'had' to be Mahogany and not Alder...but the G.V. shows that the idea of the "Mahogany, set-neck / neck-thru body construction with (insert brand) pick-ups" is a preconception that can be very wrong (I guess you already see this with the tone / feel / quality of your Expert Retro 54). This is just one of the surprises, I think, that makes the G.V. such a beautiful and rewarding jewel of a guitar to play.

From one artist who has both an Alder and Mahogany G.V. After touring the world his observations were that the Alder body G.V. had the best suited sound for him - even though he was sure, beyond doubt, that the Mahogany would have had the 'best' sound before he set out!!

FYI - Like many others, I was lucky to 'cherry-pick' a great Les Paul some years ago, I happily let it go and my G.V. Wood is probably my favourite 'go-to' guitar.?

?

I'm hoping to try one next week - fingers crossed that shop will still have some!
MJG
Super user
Super user

26 Mar 2013 16:44

Hey man. See my thoughts/reviews I just posted in the thread entitled "thank you" My main setup (until yesterday haha!) is a Gibson LP Standard 2003 through a Marshall JVM410H and 1960A cab. I tend to ride the lows (bass and resonance) at high levels and my treble and presence very low and mid pretty low too - I like a thick, bassy guitar sound. I was really worried the GV wouldn't have the low end 'grunt' that the LP has (just looking at it simply/quickly the LP is a lot heavier and basically just more material). But seriously NO such worries. I set everything to noon as a starting point with the GV and even that sounded great. I then tweaked a bit until I pretty much fell into my "normal" levels that I use with the LP. The GV roars and screams and everything in between. There is plenty of low end. And the sustain the GV creates destroys the LP to be honest. It's just a very "musical" guitar to put it in simple terms. If you like LPs/LP style guitars you will love GVs I'm sure.

MJG
Super user
Super user

26 Mar 2013 16:52

Also just looking back about what you said about Bumble (I'm a very big GNR fan) - your not wrong in assuming there is a lot more at play here - his (incredible) technique/playing style and other gear all play a big part in his sound. You will be able to find pro-shot vids on youtube from 2006 of him playing a Gibson Les Paul with GNR I'm sure. And you might not necessarily associate his sound then with the "traditional" Les Paul sound..... I've got a Rock and I think it is an ideal compromise for me. Like Ben says (and it totally makes sense) the Wood (considering the body woods) is going to be a bit more in line with your old school LP tones. I love hardtail singlecut guitars and I'm looking for a bit more of a modern metal sound. I would love to try a GV Metal sometime as well. I think the dream for me is to have a Wood, Rock and Metal!!! :-)