String buzz on New GV wood

Lets talk about guitars
stevebeale

12 Dec 2012 17:55

i have just got a New GV wood (today it arrived) and i am getting a bad open string buzz on the E and A string (its not realy playable) and to a lesser exstent from 1st fret up to the 9th fret then the buzz stops. i have tried to adjusting the hight of the bridge does not seem to help a great deal.

any advice or is it a case of sending it  back to the shop.

steve

stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

13 Dec 2012 00:51

Have you had a look up the neck to ensure the pitch looks ok?  May be worth trying new strings, but it would be unusual for 2 to play up

Does it happen on open string as well as fretted?

Do you hear it thru an amp ( wondering if the zero fret may be loose?)

stevebeale

13 Dec 2012 01:06

hi thanks for answering

it is at its worst on open strings mainly E and A the buzz stops at the 9th fret,

and yes it does come through the amp.

it seems there could be a high fret, but as i only got it today im thinking it may have to go back, its not as if the action

was even low very dissapointing

Ben
VIP
VIP

13 Dec 2012 10:02

I asked Patrice Vigier for his input before replying to this thread...his comments are if there is a problem it is best to send the guitar back to look at. It maybe a small set-up issue, but it is better to have it looked at and rectified so you can get on and enjoy playing your G.V. Wood.

stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

13 Dec 2012 12:52

Definitely take Ben and Patrice's advice (Vigier customer service is exceptional as always)

Hope the dealer isn't too far away for you

stevebeale

13 Dec 2012 13:04

Hi Steve Ben

i have spoken to Jeff and the guitar is going back in the New year, to his Tech guy.

Im in Lincolnshire UK not to far from you steve well not that far.

After a closer look im almost certail that the zero fret is to low at the Bass side

also there is a slight uneven fret (straight edge has a very small rock across frets around 8,9,10

Ill just have to wait

Have a great Xmass all PS I still love the guitar and as they say good things are worth waiting for

Ben
VIP
VIP

13 Dec 2012 13:11

Hi Steve,

Jeff is great, so I have faith his tech will resolve this issue, it sounds like a small fix to rectify the zero fret...whatever it is, we will work with World Guitars to ensure your guitar is perfect and can bring you many hours of enjoyment.

I like your comment of "all good things are worth waiting for'. I guess you have the Stonewash Blue G.V. Wood? That is an exceptional colour - I have a Purple Fade G.V. Wood - simply the best single cut I have ever had the pleasure to pick up and play. 

stevebeale

13 Dec 2012 13:19

Hi Ben

Yeah Jeff is one of the ol skool guys i have evey faith in him. and the guitar,

yeah i have the sonewash blue, its like a slink woman in your arms ..

i love it. i only wish i had looked at Vigier guitars sooner,

ill keep you posted, and a BIG thanks to all

Ben
VIP
VIP

13 Dec 2012 13:26

stevebeale wrote:

its like a slink woman in your arms ..

i love it.

Fantastic quote...the first time I felt a Vigier neck I thought the same!! 

stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

13 Dec 2012 14:05

I hope all works out OK - I was sorely tempted by that very axe myself at WG when I saw it online.

I'm keen to see one "in the flesh " to see just how dark/pale the colour is  - hopefully there will be another at one of the UK dealers soon

stevebeale

13 Dec 2012 14:18

Hi Steve

its quite pale in places but depends on the light around it.

if your out my way anytime call in.

ill post a few pics on my web page soon.

im looking forward to getting the wood put right. Jeff is having it collected in the new year

so his luthier can have a look.

After having a real good play over the days i have had the guitar

,it does seem to rattle and buzz on  E A and G strings open

Thay all stop ratteling at the 9th fret. thats with the action as per book.

out of interst Steve how low is your action..

most all my guitars are st approx, 1.6mm at 17 fret.

with no probs thats pleked BTW..fenders, Gibson and PRS,

just wondering what sort setup can be got on this type of neck systerm,

steve

stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

24 Dec 2012 17:25

Hi Steve - did you get the neck/fret issues sorted OK

Aposl you were asking about action - My only Vigier is a Lane model - so probably not a good comparison ( its very very very low, partially due to having a flat fretboard)

stevebeale

24 Dec 2012 18:03

Hi steve

its being collected on Thursday and going to Jeff Guitar Tech in Kent, But the guy who makes my other guitars

had a quick look he seemed to think that it also had a hi fret or to and a zero nut problem.

so will have to see what they find,

I also sent one of my other guitars of to have a PLEK over xmas.

i normally have most of mine set to 1.6mm at 17th fret, and so far most all accomadate the setting with out any buzz.

so i am hoping the Wood will.

any ways Have a good xmass and NY i gues your buzy, as most will be this time of year.

steve

stevebeale

07 Jan 2013 17:47

Stevie

just had e mail from Jeff to say the guitar has been done apparantly Karl found a hump

in the frets so its been redressed i should have back  this week.

will see how it is when it arrives im looking forward to it

stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

07 Jan 2013 21:42

Great news - hopeits all sorted OK

stevebeale

09 Jan 2013 12:00

got the Wood back, seems better but it appears they have packed the zero fret to lift the  E A D up

which has made the action at the nut a bit higher, and the zero fret sits above the fret board which

seems strange but hey i have never had a zero fret before, not certain how i feel about it ill give some time

and see how it goes

Les Paul Lover
Super user
Super user

10 Jan 2013 13:03

Could you post a pick of that by any chance? If the zero fret sits proud of the fret board, it sounds like your problem hasn't been rectified, they just found a way around it. If that's the case, I wouldn't settle for that.
stevebeale

10 Jan 2013 13:26

the zero fret is a good 10 thou above fret board at base E end  not easy to get a picture but i also still has a buz in places if this is wrong can someone from Vigier get back to me as its just come back from repaaire in UK.

i have only had the guitar a week or to

Ben
VIP
VIP

10 Jan 2013 16:12

Hi Steve,          

If you are not happy, we suggest to ask for it to be sent back to the factory. This is the best way to ensure it is adjusted properly to our specifications.

I am sure if you explain, Jeff will be happy to send it back to us - we can also arrange to drop ship directly back to you (if this helps you / Jeff)?

I know this has been frustrating, but rest assured, once the guitar is in perfect order it will be a love affair for you! 

stevebeale

10 Jan 2013 16:23

Ben

Jeff assured this was ok so perhaps its me. ill see how it goes i just wanted to know that the zero fret

sticking up from the fret board was ok, as i have never had a zero fret on a guitar before.

i happy for it to go back to the factory as I don't feel it is correct  and I'm still haing problems with fret buzz on e s d up TP 9 th Fret. give me the factory address and ill send it back direct if it means me feeling good about, as I do feel rather disappointed 

let me know perhaps Patrice would sign it for me as I am having so many problems on a £2500

guitar

steve

Ben
VIP
VIP

11 Jan 2013 08:55

Steve could you contact me ben@htd-uk.com or vigieruk@vigierguitars.com - I can then help you reslove this isssue.

stevebeale

11 Jan 2013 18:00

Ben it  was a real pleasure to talk to you, thank you so much for all the help and I am so looking forward to getting the Wood back and sorted, 

I can't believe the service it's a shame a few others don't take as much care, also I have to say a big thanks to Jeff,

will post again when my baby comes home be nice to her

Ben
VIP
VIP

13 Jan 2013 19:13

It was a pleasure...I am sure she will be back to you soon!! 

stevebeale

21 Jan 2013 00:06

Well the story ends, I have been told that the GV it's perhaps not the guitar for me ??? And have been offered a refund witch I will except, disappointed and highly bemused I gues I must play to heavy . Still thanks to all for the hhelp just goes to show the guitar has. To like its owner as much as the owner likes it.   

ill try a suhr in stead !!!!!M

stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

21 Jan 2013 21:31

That's a shame steve - you sure it wasn't just that one ?

May be worth looking out for another  - or try a GV Rock ?