Couple of pics of how the SL looks now.

Lets talk about guitars
Hayden
Super user
Super user

21 Oct 2011 16:56

The green strings are temporary (I had to give them a whirl though!) but the zebra coil Sidewynder HH-1 humbuckers are for keeps. Even changed the zero fret the other day and was surprised by how easy it was, I didn't even manage to damage anything at all!

Hayden
Super user
Super user

21 Oct 2011 16:59

And another:

stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

22 Oct 2011 21:30

Nice one Hayden - you will have to put up some audio samples . The zebra stripe coils really suit too. I've left mine stock for now - but thinking about some pup changes How do you find the DR strings?  I've heard reports that the coating really plays havoc with string vibration and intonation Oh - and out of interest - why did you change the zero fret? Grooved or just adjusting the height?
Hayden
Super user
Super user

22 Oct 2011 22:34

Hayden wrote:

Nice one Hayden - you will have to put up some audio samples . The zebra stripe coils really suit too.

I've left mine stock for now - but thinking about some pup changes

How do you find the DR strings?  I've heard reports that the coating really plays havoc with string vibration and intonation

Oh - and out of interest - why did you change the zero fret? Grooved or just adjusting the height?

Hiya, I do plan to do quite a lot of video and audio pretty soon providing I don't get too many deadlines dropped on me. As for the strings, they're a lot of fun and though I didn't notice any great intonation problems they definitely don't sound the same as plain strings but DR are at least pretty open about that, well they say they're better but I guess that's still open. I do like the tones but I think they can be a little bit too civilised, it's like you miss out on certain overtones and a little bite. On the plus side though they do look fantastic :D It's back to regular DR strings for me soon all the same.

As for the zero fret it was grooved but I'm not overly concerned, these things can happen and judging from research and talking to other owners it's not guaranteed it will happen soon again by any stretch. The best part is that it's such a painless fix all you need are fingernails or a fine screwdriver (and a cloth to protect the board if you're poking about with a screwdriver) and that's it.

VigierDJ
VIP
VIP

07 Nov 2011 16:13

The zebro coils look great! I think the green strings look good, too! But then again, I'm a huge fan of Christophe Godin's Metal Kartoon guitar (I love mismatched superstrats)...
Hayden
Super user
Super user

07 Nov 2011 17:14

Hayden wrote:The zebro coils look great! I think the green strings look good, too! But then again, I'm a huge fan of Christophe Godin's Metal Kartoon guitar (I love mismatched superstrats)...

Always loved the look of that model, he can't half play it too!

Ben
VIP
VIP

10 Nov 2011 21:35

Hayden wrote:

The green strings are temporary (I had to give them a whirl though!) but the zebra coil Sidewynder HH-1 humbuckers are for keeps. Even changed the zero fret the other day and was surprised by how easy it was, I didn't even manage to damage anything at all!

Nice one!!!!
nickeroo
VIP
VIP

19 Nov 2011 14:12

I was a big fan of the DR Neons when they came out. They look great under stage lights and as I am in an 80s glam/hard rock cover band, looks are important.However, after one rehearsal, and two gigs in a row where a string unwound from the core at the bridge (last night in the middle of the first song!) I will have to stop using them, and go back to trusty Ernie Balls. Really quite sad about it! I like how they feel, as they feel pretty "played in" out of the box due to the coating. Tonally they are a bit muffled as Hayden rightly said. And nothing comes close to the way they look.