My Shawn Lane Master Series :D

Lets talk about guitars
Hayden
Super user
Super user

26 Aug 2011 09:46

It arrived about 40 minutes ago (and I wasn't even expecting it until next week) and although work prevents me losing a day to it a quick blast shows my memory wasn't playing tricks. Immaculate, precise, and still manages to have a soul. I have a feeling a long term love affair is about to develop. Guess my wife needs to live without me this weekend.

Thanks Vigier! I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat here :)

ONS
Super user
Super user

26 Aug 2011 10:39

Wellcome to the club. My wife says I'm shredding in my sleep after receiving the Grand Master's signature guitar:) Great guitar, hope you enjoy every minute of playing.
Hayden
Super user
Super user

27 Aug 2011 15:13

Well, I've had 24 hours or so with the guitar now (Sadly not all of them playing, sleeping and eating have to be attended to!) which is very different to having a guitar in for review, when it's your own you are far less distanced. And the outcome? Possibly one of the finest instruments I have ever played. The fit and finish of Vigier guitars is already well known and spoken of but it's still a joy casting your eye over every part of your guitar and seeing perfection.

As for the neck, the zero radius is what sold me completely on the Lane model. Such an amazing playing surface and it seems to take yet another obstacle out of the way when communicating a musical idea into a mechanical reality. I imagine if you scalloped one of these boards you'd actually be able to play using nothing more than the power of thought, not that I will be scalloping this one :)

The only thing I need to change are the pickups. The ones that come with the guitar are doubtless perfect for purpose but we all have our favourites and I have a set that will make this guitar my perfect guitar. Not often I can say anything is perfect for me, it's nice to finally do so.

In conclusion, and if you can't already tell, I'm over the f*&%$?" moon :D Videos to follow...many.

nickeroo
VIP
VIP

27 Aug 2011 16:36

I must agree, Hayden. The Lane is one of the easiest playing guitars I have tried, and given that Vigiers are beautifully and effortlessly playable + very responsive is saying a lot.The 0 radius has a lot to do with that. I wondered how I would find it, but with the combination of the shorter scale, the feel is sublime.Because it was so easy to use, I found myself using 10s on it, much like I would use on a Les Paul type. I wondered what gauge you were trying?
Hayden
Super user
Super user

27 Aug 2011 21:38

Hayden wrote:I must agree, Hayden. The Lane is one of the easiest playing guitars I have tried, and given that Vigiers are beautifully and effortlessly playable + very responsive is saying a lot.The 0 radius has a lot to do with that. I wondered how I would find it, but with the combination of the shorter scale, the feel is sublime.Because it was so easy to use, I found myself using 10s on it, much like I would use on a Les Paul type. I wondered what gauge you were trying?

Hiya, I've put 10's on the Lane too, makes it feel even more purposeful and precise which I love. The only issue is that I used Rotosound strings and it seems the wraps at the ball end are just a touch too long on the G and B strings causing a bit of discomfort and raising the strings a little. Tomorrow I'll stick a set of EB regular Slinky on there, I'm bound to have some lying around.

I really think all I need now is my HH-1's on there and it's all good to go and time to start recording.

stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

29 Aug 2011 18:13

Nice one Hayden, glad you managed to join the club also - you certainly deserve to after your excellent review - did you get the Master Series in Black? I have 9-46's on mine at the mo - just about stops me pushing the low E off the 'board - is defintely making my touch lighter the longer I play it tho' Are you keeping the trem flat to body or floating?  I've balanced mine to the Verheyen method ( G pulls up min 3rd, B whole step, E half step, spring claw slightly angled) Seems to keep tuning awesomely well I'm still working out best pickup height as the Humbuking modes are way louder than the in between settings., and I'm not Steve Morse ;-)
Hayden
Super user
Super user

30 Aug 2011 09:38

Hayden wrote:

Nice one Hayden, glad you managed to join the club also - you certainly deserve to after your excellent review - did you get the Master Series in Black?

I have 9-46's on mine at the mo - just about stops me pushing the low E off the 'board - is defintely making my touch lighter the longer I play it tho'

Are you keeping the trem flat to body or floating?  I've balanced mine to the Verheyen method ( G pulls up min 3rd, B whole step, E half step, spring claw slightly angled) Seems to keep tuning awesomely well

I'm still working out best pickup height as the Humbuking modes are way louder than the in between settings., and I'm not Steve Morse ;-)

Yep, master series in black.

Right now I've set the trem to floating (I'll try out every option before I settle, you know how it is) but I will most likely return it to flat to the body as I don't use trems a great deal. I have to say tuning reliability is excellent for a non-locking system.

As for the pickups, there is a drop in volume with the split positions and the middle but I'm not concerned as I will be changing the pickups fairly soon anyway and getting a custom wound middle which can sit low down but still do the business. I think the pickups in it are perfectly good (sometimes great) but just not for me.

If you come to any of the guitar shows (local shows and Bristol) I'll be there on the Sidewynder stand with my Lane so feel free to stop by and have a play.

Shred87
Super user
Super user

30 Aug 2011 14:19

Photos please !!!!!  
Hayden
Super user
Super user

31 Aug 2011 08:46

This is the only pic I have so far. I was getting all "arty" with it until the wife pointed out I hadn't ironed my shirt 

VigierDJ
VIP
VIP

31 Aug 2011 14:02

Hayden wrote:

This is the only pic I have so far. I was getting all "arty" with it until the wife pointed out I hadn't ironed my shirt 

That makes it even more "arty"

Looks like you got a particularly excellent piece of figured alder. Looking forward to more pics and videos!!

Ben
VIP
VIP

31 Aug 2011 17:18

Hayden wrote:

Did she not offer to iron it for you?!?

Hayden
Super user
Super user

31 Aug 2011 17:27

Hayden wrote:  Did she not offer to iron it for you?!? 

Yes, but only if she could do so while I was wearing it.

Hayden
Super user
Super user

31 Aug 2011 17:29

Hayden wrote:

That makes it even more "arty"

Looks like you got a particularly excellent piece of figured alder. Looking forward to more pics and videos!!

The guitar is beyond perfect, I will be making a video extolling its virtues in a far less unbiased fashion than I did the review video as soon as I get a lump of video and writing work out of the way. There should be some vids from the guitar shows I have coming up this year too.

Ben
VIP
VIP

31 Aug 2011 18:10

Hayden wrote: 
Hayden wrote:  Did she not offer to iron it for you?!? 

Yes, but only if she could do so while I was wearing it.

Hahahahaha