Floyd Rose GraphTech Saddle's Radius Setup HELLPPPP!!!

Lets talk about guitars
Dna-yay
Super user
Super user

24 Jul 2011 16:08

Hey all, i have recently put some GraphTech String Saver Floyd Rose saddle's onto my Vigier Trem and i have been trying to find out the rough radius for these saddle's and what one's i have to shim to match the 11.83 radius? I presume the GraphTech saddle's are the exact same spec as any original FR saddle's, i have read that they might be a 10 or 12 but i am unsure. I want to be able to set up the radius on the trem as close as possible to match the 11.83 radius. Any ideas?

Dna-yay
Super user
Super user

29 Jul 2011 18:20

Ok i have found out that the Graphtech Saddles are "20" Radius, can anyone give me any tips to get them to 11.83. or as close as possible, "12"?
nickeroo
VIP
VIP

29 Jul 2011 21:32

Shims. http://www.axcessories.com/proddetail.asp?prod=axfrsdlshma Or similar, for the saddles.Shim until you get close to 12 inches.IMO Graphtech saddles are not necessary on a Vigier, as you'd get top quality saddles already on the unit! But I am biased as I found they remove an element of "ringing" and "clarity" from chords.
Dna-yay
Super user
Super user

02 Aug 2011 15:17

Yeah i knew i would have to shim the saddles as i have done it before, but the main problem was getting a 20 radius down to a 12. I have found a tutorial online about how to change a 10/12 radius to 12/14/16/18, but for the reverse i was not to sure.Well the saddles on the Vigier are just standard Floyd Rose saddles and i wanted a saddle that has less string breakage and more sustain.
VigierDJ
VIP
VIP

10 Aug 2011 17:32

Dna-yay wrote:Yeah i knew i would have to shim the saddles as i have done it before, but the main problem was getting a 20 radius down to a 12. I have found a tutorial online about how to change a 10/12 radius to 12/14/16/18, but for the reverse i was not to sure.Well the saddles on the Vigier are just standard Floyd Rose saddles and i wanted a saddle that has less string breakage and more sustain.
I believe the only difference in shimming the saddles would be to shim the middle strings instead of the outside strings. The goal is to change the radius by changing the saddle height, if you need a smaller radius, that means the curve is smaller and the D & G would be raised the most, and the A & B strings would be raised less. If you were to go from 10" to say 16", you would need to flatten it, which would mean bringing the outer strings up more. Does that make sense?The easier way to measure would be to get a radius gauge - http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/Images/Pickguardian%20Neck%20Radius%20Gauges.pdfThere's a free one you can pint out and use.
Dna-yay
Super user
Super user

21 Aug 2011 10:19

I believe the only difference in shimming the saddles would be to shim the middle strings instead of the outside strings. The goal is to change the radius by changing the saddle height, if you need a smaller radius, that means the curve is smaller and the D & G would be raised the most, and the A & B strings would be raised less. If you were to go from 10" to say 16", you would need to flatten it, which would mean bringing the outer strings up more. Does that make sense?The easier way to measure would be to get a radius gauge - http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/Images/Pickguardian%20Neck%20Radius%20Gauges.pdfThere's a free one you can pint out and use.
Yeah that makes sense as i have done it before, it is just trying to shim in the opposite direction ( turning a flatter radius into a more curved radius. So far i have 3 x 1.6mm shims under the D and G and 2 x 1.6 under the A and B string's. Might need to raise the E's up by one shim or possibly drop the D and G by one shim. Just wanted to see if anyone knew the exact amount at Vigier to match up the neck and bridge. I knew standard Floyd's are either 10 or 12. Still feel there need's to be a little more tweaking. Maybe i should also add a shim to the neck pocket as well?