Questions about setup

Lets talk about guitars
axes
New
New

15 Dec 2010 21:30

Dear Vigier and fellow users,

I've just bought myself a Vigier Excalibur Custom second handed. It was made in 1998 as far as I know. It's definitely the best guitar I've ever owned.

As Vigier's Floyd system is new to me, I have a couple of questions about setting it up.

• When replacing old strings with new ones, should I go one by one or can I take them all off and put the new ones on? If I take them all off, should I block the trem by putting something under it?
  • When setting the bridge to be parallel with the body, do I need to loosen the strings or can I do it without loosening them? Also, will changing this mess up the intonation?
  • Is it possible to adjust the string height on the Floyd (obviously it's not possible on the neck because there is no truss rod)? If yes, will it mess up the intonation?
  • When setting the intonation, do I need to loosen all the strings or just the one I'm currently intonating?
  • Can I do the trem set-up "wrong"? I mean, can I cause any irreversible, permanent problems to my guitar with it?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions!

Richard

1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

16 Dec 2010 08:20

axes wrote:

Dear Vigier and fellow users,

I've just bought myself a Vigier Excalibur Custom second handed. It was made in 1998 as far as I know. It's definitely the best guitar I've ever owned.

As Vigier's Floyd system is new to me, I have a couple of questions about setting it up.

When replacing old strings with new ones, should I go one by one or can I take them all off and put the new ones on? If I take them all off, should I block the trem by putting something under it?When setting the bridge to be parallel with the body, do I need to loosen the strings or can I do it without loosening them? Also, will changing this mess up the intonation?Is it possible to adjust the string height on the Floyd (obviously it's not possible on the neck because there is no truss rod)? If yes, will it mess up the intonation?When setting the intonation, do I need to loosen all the strings or just the one I'm currently intonating?Can I do the trem set-up "wrong"? I mean, can I cause any irreversible, permanent problems to my guitar with it?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions!

Richard

1) Yes strings one by one will save you time.2) The string must be tuned, then you adjust the spring so the bridge is parallel, then retune the string, then adjust the bridge parallel, and so on.... until it is stabilized.3) If you raise 0,1 mm it will not mess the intonation, if you raise a lot (3mm) yes it will.4) One by one5) NoI invite you to look at the manual of your guitar here
axes
New
New

16 Dec 2010 19:04

Thanks for the fast answer, Patrice! I've read the manual, but didn't find these things, so that's why I asked here. I still have to get used to the feeling that I can set anything on my guitar and don't have to fear about messing it up?
Fredrik Pihl
VIP
VIP

04 Jan 2011 15:32

The best way to get to know your guitar is actually by learning to do make adjustments to it.It surely won't break unless you approach it Rambo-style with a screwdriver or a drill. ;)Try different string gauges (just be aware that you may need to intonate your guitar when changing gauges), string height, pick ups etc. I know the luthiers at Vigier makes an incredible job setting the guitars up, but never the less it's important to adjust the guitar to your needs. I like to compare it to buying a car. If you have the car seats placed where they are when you buy the car, you probably won't feel very comfortable if you have long or short legs. Instead you adjust the seat depending on the lenght of your body. The same goes with guitars. They should be adjusted to your needs.So to conclude, don't be afraid on approaching your guitar with a screwdriver. :)
axes
New
New

05 Jan 2011 23:59

Thank You for your answer, Fredrik! Yes, I think the best thing I could do is to experiment a little bit with setting up my guitar.