Anyone owning a GV able to give an indication of tone "fatness" with regards to a LP or a PRS SC 245?

Lets talk about guitars
p6x
Super user
Super user

21 Dec 2009 19:23

Greetings;
As it is not easy to come accross a GV, and after having searched YT and read all I could find about it, I am wondering if anybody here is owning one, and can give a few pointers.
All my guitars are bright toned, and strat style; I was considering buying a Les Paul 1957 or 59 reissue or a PRS SC 245 around the 3000 USD price tag;
I wonder if the Vigier GV can be considered with those tonewise?
thanks;

Jeremy Krull
Super user
Super user

22 Dec 2009 23:40

Hi there,It's been quite a long time since I've played any of the PRS SC's, but I've owned my Les Paul Custom since about 1993 or so and I've played a few GV's. What I can tell you at least as far as how the GV compares to a Les Paul, is that the Les Paul (particularly in the neck position) is extremely fat sounding, but it's not as DEFINED as the GV. The GV has a very firm (but deep) low end to it, but the kinds of harmonics/overtones you'll get from it are not really as pleasant on the Les Paul. It's not that a Les Paul is a worse sounding guitar, just different, more traditional. And there definitely is not a single stock Les Paul that has a set of pickups like those Amber pickups that are in the Rock/Wood versions of the GV.hope that helps,Jeremy
p6x
Super user
Super user

23 Dec 2009 01:43

Thanks Jeremy;lucky you... "I played several GV's" all I get is "you need to order it and it will be delivered in 4 months time" ha!seriously, if I want to sound like Joe Bonamassa, the GV will play its part as long as I play mine?
Jeremy Krull
Super user
Super user

23 Dec 2009 02:00

p6x wrote: Thanks Jeremy;lucky you... "I played several GV's" all I get is "you need to order it and it will be delivered in 4 months time" ha!seriously, if I want to sound like Joe Bonamassa, the GV will play its part as long as I play mine?
well I mean we did have I think 5 or 6 GV's at the last NAMM (and I'm sure we'll have more this year), so I guess that could be construed as several? hahaeither way, one thing I think you will appreciate about the guitar (as with all Vigier guitars) is that it really lets you sound like YOU (or whoever you want to sound like). It's blank slate, it has it's own character, but it lets you speak through it. And besides, if you take a GV over the SC245 or the Les Paul, you can pretty much never have to worry about the weather messing up your guitar ever again :)
p6x
Super user
Super user

23 Dec 2009 13:24

Thanks again Jeremy;I see, you are one of those rare "chosen ones" whom can attend NAMM!!!I now understand how you could put your fingers on several GV's.Ok, I got you on the Vigier's character and flexibility and reliability; in any case, I was convinced beforehand of their value, the major hurdle being to find one
p6x
Super user
Super user

29 Dec 2009 20:52

For those whom would like to see what the real thing looks like.....
Jeremy Krull
Super user
Super user

29 Dec 2009 22:33

did you just buy that?either way that looks amazing :)
p6x
Super user
Super user

30 Dec 2009 14:52

p6x wrote:did you just buy that?
Dude, I wish!!! its located at a retailer but not in the USA, and I am debating with myself what to do... I am actually looking at the Christophe Godin 10th anniversary too! initially I wanted to change my world of Strat and Super Strat to that of Single Cutaway. I find myself in unusual territories, having to choose something as personal as a musical instrument, trying to immagine how it is going to sound? I have only once bought a guitar thru Internet, at Ed Romans not a successful experience.
Jeremy Krull
Super user
Super user

30 Dec 2009 21:46

I don't think ANYONE has a good experience with Ed Roman....but either way, there's tons of options from Vigier, from what I understand the Christophe Godin guitar is being produced in extremely small quantity, but is very unique compared to a regular Excalibur Supra.Hopefully soon there will be an easier way for you to try out Vigier guitars more local to where you live.
p6x
Super user
Super user

08 Jan 2010 18:38

Hi Jeremy! I went out on a limb, and finally ordered the CG10YA (Christophe Godin 10 Year Anniversary); the rationale was I can always sale it back if I don't like it, and will go back to my initial GV Wood choice. However, Thierry said that the CG10YA will be exposed at the NAMM 2010. It would be cool if you could give it a spin, and let me know what you think, tone wise. Cheers, Pascal
Jeremy Krull
Super user
Super user

08 Jan 2010 19:54

I'm assuming we'll have at least 1 at the show...I will most certainly spend a considerable amount of time playing it, and I will report back to you in this thread about it. Seriously, I will actually do this, not just saying that. I'm curious to try it out too as I know the neck/fret dimensions are unique to that guitar as well.-Jeremy
p6x
Super user
Super user

08 Jan 2010 20:49

Thierry said there will be one for sure, as he offered to take some pictures. This information comes from the French chapter of the Vigier Forum. I would have tried to get in the NAMM 2010, unfortunately, I have to report for work the same day it is going to open, and in any case, entering the NAMM is impossible if you are not part of the industry or an invited artist. I will be waiting for your report with baited breath.....
Jeremy Krull
Super user
Super user

16 Jan 2010 03:42

Alrighty Pascal...so I got to spend a bit of time with the guitar yesterday, and here's my thoughts/experiences with it:it *feels* heavier, not sure if it really is. The neck is noticeably thicker, and almost feels wider. The frets as you know are also taller, and are now stainless steel and are among the smoothest, best worked frets I've ever used. The particular setup of the guitar as far as string gauge, tuning, and action, are pretty much 100% exactly the way Christophe plays his guitars. The strings, even in D-standard, are hard to bend (for me) but the tone is awesome. The string gauge and tuning, combined with his choice of pickups makes the guitar really snappy and responsive while being very deep and clear sounding. It's definitely different from all the other Excaliburs that I've played mostly because of the neck/frets, but it's very cool. The particular way he has it set-up also allows you to play harder than you will ever need to :)Overall, if you have the option to get this guitar, I don't think you'll regret it in the least, it's an extremely unique offering and inspiring to play.-Jeremy
p6x
Super user
Super user

17 Jan 2010 22:47

Cool Jeremy! I guess I am going to have to change the string's gauge right away.... I just have to wait until April to get mine... Many thanks. Pascal