Vigier Excalibur Supra 

Lets talk about guitars
binge

24 Feb 2009 14:25

Hey guys,

I just got an Excalibur Supra and I must say that I am impressed.  I have never known a guitar to be set up so well from the factory and I love the idea of having the fixed truss road in the neck.

I would like to ask something - sometimes when I play an open A string I can hear it buzzing slightly at the zero fret.  It isn't that bad and doesn't come through the amp but I would like to know if this is normal or if there is a problem on my guitar?  I have Ernie Ball regular slinky strings on it - gauge 9.

Also - I don't really use the whammy bar and I read in the leaflet that came with the guitar that if I tighten the springs I can have the bridge sitting agains the body.  I would like to do this and was wondering if I should do this with the strings up to tension?

Will lowering the bridge against the body have any effect on the action of the guitar?  Will I need to raise or lower it any? 

Thank you!

Ben
VIP
VIP

26 Feb 2009 08:50

HI Binge,             Any buzzing that is heard on the guitar will be fine if it is not coming through the amp. Some buzzing is common with a low action and also can be a result of different strings / new old etc. When you say "Ernie Ball regular slinky gauge 9" - is that 9-46 or 9-42 (regular slinky's are gauge 10-46), Vigier guitars come set with guage 9-46.  Regarding setting the trem so it rests against the body - this is fine to do, I would recommend loosening the tension on the strings before making any changes. You may want to check the action to your own personal taste as well as the intonation when you do this; if they need changing it is a quick and easy process.  Good luck with these changes, I wish you much enjoyment with your new Vigier...and welcome to the forums.  
binge

26 Feb 2009 11:31

Hey Ben, Thanks for the relpy.  The strings are 9 - 42.  I have used these for years and I actually bought them in bulk, my supply is running low so it will soon be time to buy some more.  Would you recommend 9 - 46 or is there not really much difference?With regards to the buzzing - it only seems to be when I hit the D string on the 7th fret, G string on the 2nd fret or sometimes on the open A string.  It must simply be something to do with the frequency an A note vibrates at.  As long as it doesn't come through the amp I'm not too concerned about it but I just wanted to check with you guys as you are the experts. I was thinking further about adjusting the bridge and I think that I'll just leave it floating.  I changed strings on Tuesday, adjusted the intonation slightly and raised the action just a fraction and everything is set up very nicely.  It's a very nice guitar and what I like about it is there it doesn't really need much maintenance to keep it playing well.  As I said the idea of the carbon in the neck is genious. 
Ben
VIP
VIP

26 Feb 2009 12:32

Hi Binge,            With 9-46 there is extra tension on the D, A, and low E strings. Personal preference to strings really. I use 10-52 and tend to tune Eb, but not all the time.I agree, one of things I love about Vigier most is that I spend more time playing instead of fiddling with the set-up...after all the aim is to spend time actually 'playing' a guitar not sitting there with a screwdriver and Allan key in hand trying to get it to play correctly!!Have fun playing your new guitar.