Ultra or Special

Lets talk about guitars
davidl
Super user
Super user

04 Aug 2008 20:15

I had a chance to play a vigier for the first time last week. A Supra and it was great, but not quite had the finish(color) I wanted.

I want either an Ultra or a Special but can't quite decide. Also can't quite decide whether to get a maple or rosewood fretboard.

Are the Supra and Ultra more or less the same apart from finish(maple top/binding etc) and pickups?
Ben
VIP
VIP

05 Aug 2008 16:25

Hi David,           The necks should be the same on the Supra, Special and Ultra - it is the body and pickups that will differ. There is a big difference in how all the guitars sound due to the characteristics of the woods / pickup configuration and body (Maple top); The Ultra has active, EMG pickups loaded into the body, while the Supra and Special both have passive, DiMarzio pickups fixed to a pickguard. The Maple top does create a difference in sound, the shape (contours of the top) also differ between the Supra and both Maple top guitars. The difference between Maple and Rosewood fingerboard is harder to describe, they both have a slightly different feel, with many people saying Maple is a 'faster' fingerboard - I have both and like them equally, it is hard for me to say which fingerboard I prefer. If you have the chance do try both fingerboards to see which you prefer.
davidl
Super user
Super user

05 Aug 2008 22:02

Thanks for the info. It's difficult to try all the models/options as there's hardly any Vigier dealers at all in the north of England. Only sounds greats in Manchester.
B
VIP
VIP

05 Aug 2008 23:11

I was in Sounds Great about 2 weeks ago and they only had a Surfretter and Excalibur Origional. FWIW, I have the Special and love it! However i'm not a fan of EMG's so getting the special was a no-brainer for me! (and the cost!). And like Ben said, not only the pick-ups themselves but the way they are mounted will give a different tone. Perhaps think of the guitars you've owned or the players you admire and their tone to help you. On the rosewood/maple debate.....I find maple 'faster'. But I also find it harder too, if you get my drift. I feel more kinda 'snap' under my fingers that i really like. But the choice is yours and whatever you choose i'm positive you will get a fine instrument! Brad