The most important quality

Lets talk about anything you want
Dudross
VIP
VIP

19 Oct 2007 00:03

I always like to hear what people say to this question; what is the most important quality a guitarist should have?
Ben
VIP
VIP

19 Oct 2007 14:17

A soul and passion...if not they are drummers!  
B
VIP
VIP

19 Oct 2007 19:45

All of the above, but I also think an open mind to other forms of music. Also to listen to music with NO guitar in. This may sound strange for a guitarist on a guitar forum, but think about it...and this is a generalisation of course... guitarists will only tend to listen to guitar music. When a guitarist opens their mind in this way i really think it helps their overall musicianship and love for music. These guys are on another universe to us mere mortals but think about the likes of Allan Holdsworth, who was influenced by sax players like John Coltrane, or Shawn Lane who was influenced by Art Tatum. Just my 50 pence Brad 
Dudross
VIP
VIP

20 Oct 2007 22:32

All excellent answers! I always think it's best to think as a musician, not as a guitarist. And as you pointed out Brad listening to all sorts of music will open up many musicial doors. Some of my biggest influences don't even play guitar! Myself personally, I want to hear stories through notes, be moved as well as 'wow'd'. Ok, another one for you guys, what made you pick up and learn the guitar?!  
Ben
VIP
VIP

20 Oct 2007 23:57

Hey Jimi, that is beautiful.  My story...After my parents split up my mother took me to visit where she grew up. I was eleven. We walked into a music shop (where my grandfather, who I never knew, once worked). My mother used to walk home from school via the shop and sit listening to her father play piano. While we were in the shop my eyes fell on the wall of guitars...I was hooked. All holiday I talked about guitars; eventually my mum agreed that - as both of my sisters had played instruments and if I promised this would not be a passing fashion I could have a guitar. So there it was, a shiny electric guitar for my birthday (it took me a whole two years to save up for an amp).... and well to this day I still can't put the guitar down, it is part of my life, my passion.
Dudross
VIP
VIP

21 Oct 2007 15:03

* yeah!! Sometimes, the guitar has saved me from some very dark places! Jimi, that is such a COOL story!  
Bonsaischaap
Super user
Super user

18 Nov 2007 21:17

I would say the most important qualities a musician should be:-timing; not the first thing that may come to mind, but very important nonetheless.-conviction; if you don't believe in what you play or if you don't mean it, just don't play.-the technical ability to create the music you want to create.If you have those three things, you're one * of a player.