England under Capello

Lets talk about anything you want
B
VIP
VIP

05 Feb 2008 15:21

Well it's the big match tomorrow with 'Don Fabio' in charge.

Is this the man who can FINALLY bring a group of talented individuals together and turn them into a winning team?

Or, is it yet another false dawn?

discuss

Ben
VIP
VIP

05 Feb 2008 15:36

Well, I think he is better than Mclaren...I mean the FA wanted a change last time yet after the '* up' affair of getting Mclaren - this has to be a better step...new backroom staff the lot.   Capello does like his defensive tactics just as Sven did, I for one would like to see us attack a lot more. But I think the problem with the national team is far deeper than just the manager it has a lot to do with the quality of our players and the time they have to play first team football. Also belief, we have to play with passion again...I have not seen that since the 1990 or 1996 tournaments.   At the end of the day "proof is in the pudding" and I think we will have to give it time.So, all you Englishmen out there who will you be cheering for in the European finals in the Summer...Me, well of course I will be cheering for our friends the French!!
B
VIP
VIP

05 Feb 2008 16:22

I agree, hopefully Capello will be given time, and along the way will burst a few egos, as we have seen with Beckham. Too many players were guaranteed a place in the side, friendlies became meaningless with caps handed out willy nilly. Saying that, I do believe you have to build your team around the most gifted player and IMHO it has to be Rooney. Think about it, Zidane almost single handedly to France to the World Cup final (ok, he then blew it), Maradonna with Argentina. Look at all the great Man United sides. Teams were built around the talents of George Best, Cantona, Keane and now Ronaldo. I think instead of sticking Rooney up on his own to run round like a dog, just to try and accomoate Lampard and Gerrard, build the team around Rooney so we get the best out of him, not the worst cos he is argubly the best English player since Gascoigne. And I guess I should support 'les bleu' as I am soon to be a Vigier owner lol,
Ben
VIP
VIP

05 Feb 2008 16:42

Yes, I agree...but then we have to be prepared for injuries, and also to have different 'teams' to play different tactics. I'd like to see Becks get his 100th cap, he is after all one of the best right midfielders to play for the country in a long time, lets not forget he is also a great ambassador to English football.It has been sad to see Rooney get frustrated at the lack of quality service...I don't rate 'fat' Frank, and I'd like to see Stevie G give the same kind of inspirational performance for his country as he does for his club.
B
VIP
VIP

05 Feb 2008 17:36

Just to think the genius that is Paul Scholes had to make way for Frank Lard-* ! (I'm not biased...really...). I think Lampards influence undermines Gerrard's to a certain extent, stops him playing is natural game, similar to what happened with Scholes. I'm a firm believer that you can only have one player in the team that runs the show in the middle of the park and there is no player that has done it for the past 6-7 years like Gerrard. Lamps is a good player for sure, but too many cooks can spoil the broth, so to speak. Having someone to sit in front of the back four, say, Hargreaves or Barry, will let Gerrard loose and hopefully his form will pick up because of it!
Ben
VIP
VIP

05 Feb 2008 17:40

Yeah I agree with that...oh well, the future is bright for English football, I mean, we can only go up from here! hehe! 
B
VIP
VIP

05 Feb 2008 17:51

Yeah man, at least there is nowhere to fall when you're at rock bottom! lol
Ben
VIP
VIP

08 Feb 2008 21:50

Well, an ok start for Capello 2-1...poor defending to let in the goal, but promising performances from some key players...be good when we get some others back from injury and see how the team fits together then.
B
VIP
VIP

09 Feb 2008 13:22

yeah, lots of work to do though. Same old problems still. Rooney needs someone to play off. He looked a lot better when Crouch came on, not when he was up on his own, chasing lost causes. But Capello is a smart guy, it was only the first game and I'm sure with time he will iron out our problems. There were a few positives to take from the game. In a strange way I'm glad it was a low key start. Sven and Mclaren both started with great wins....and we all know what happened there!
Ben
VIP
VIP

09 Feb 2008 13:26

I agree that when Crouch came on Rooney had a better game. I think Crouch adds something to the team - he allows other players into the game. Yeah a lot of work to be done indeed - and we have the time to get things right!! Fingers crossed next world cup we WILL at last put up a good challenge.